Top stories on November 29 in a capsule
Maharashtra govt approves 16% quota for Marathas
The Maharashtra government on Thursday approved 16 percent quota in education and jobs for the Maratha community, bringing the reservation margin to a total of 68%. The Devendra Fadnavis government passed the bill in both the Upper and the Lower Houses of the State Assembly. The decision comes after a series of protests from the community this year forcing the government to deliberate over the issue. Following this, the State Backward Class Commission (SBCC) report was formulated in November which stated that, ‘Marathas have inadequate representation in services under the state. They are entitled to reservation benefits, and the advantages enshrined in the Articles 15(4) and 16(4) of the Constitution. Earlier on Wednesday, CM Fadnavis said, “My government is committed to providing reservation to the community under the Socially and Educationally Backward Community category over and above the existing 52 per cent reservation in the state.
___________________
'Govt was wrong,' Alok Verma's counsel tells SC, A-G says 'did it for people's faith'
The Supreme Court on Thursday continued hearing the case surrounding the ouster of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Director Alok Verma from his post, during which his lawyer Fali Nariman told the top court that the government was wrong in relieving Verma without consulting the Central Vigilance Committee (CVC). In a sharp reply to Nariman, Attorney General AK Venugopal said, “Primary concern was to protect people's faith in the CBI. Its top two officers were at serious loggerheads against each other. Hence the government intervened.” Appearing before the bench of Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, Justices S K Kaul and K M Joseph, advocate Nariman also clarified that Verma has no knowledge of the allegations that Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Manoj Kumar Sinha has leveled on National Security Adviser Ajit Doval and few union ministers of interfering in CBI officer Rakesh Asthana bribery case.The top court has adjourned the case for 5 December, 2018.
___________________
Demonetisation was monetary shock, economic growth slided down: Ex CEA in new book
Former Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) Arvind Subramanian on Thursday opined that demonetisation was a ‘massive, draconian, monetary shock’ that also lead the ‘economic growth slide to 6.8% in the seven quarters against the 8 percent recorded earlier.’ The statements part of excerpts from Subramanian’s soon-to-be released book, ‘Of Counsel: The challenges of Modi-Jaitely economy,’ also said that while demonetisation majorly affected the informal sector, the GDP indicators only measured the overall activity of formal sector. Talking about BJP’s victory among the public post note ban, he said, “The poor were willing to overlook their own hardships, knowing that the rich and their ill-begotten wealth were experiencing even greater hardship.” Reacting to Subramanian’s claims, the Congress said ‘finally true feelings are revealed.’
___________________
Delhi Kisan March: Farmers threaten to parade naked, demand session in Parliament
Over a lakh farmers on Thursday arrived in Delhi demanding a 3-week long special joint-day session in Parliament on loan waiver, improved debt relief and better Minimum Support Price (MSP) for their production. Threatening to take the march to Parliament Street on Friday, a group of farmers from Tamil Nadu said they would march naked if they were barred. Organized by the Communist Party (Marxist) and backed by All India Kisan Sabha along with 200 organisations under the All India Kisan Sangharsh Coordination Committee (AIKSCC), the protest has garnered support of Delhi University students and Public Interest Lawyer Prashant Bhushan who on microblogging site Twitter said, “Over 3L farmers have committed suicide in India in last 15 yrs, due to successive govts betraying them. Let’s stand in solidarity with them.”
___________________
Punjab Congress minister Navjot Singh Sidhu found himself in yet another controversy as he posed with Sikh militancy, pro-Khalistani activist Gopal Singh Chawla over a photo while on his two-day visit to the neighboring country of Pakistan for the Kartarpur corridor opening ceremony. Sidhu, who arrived back in India on Friday, said, “There were probably five to ten thousand photos clicked of me there. I don’t know who Gopal Chawla is.” Chawla uploaded a picture with Sidhu on social media site Facebook, following which the BJP criticised the cricketer-turned-politician. "Such malicious tactics on Pakistani soil cannot be ignored. Sidhu should maintain distance,” Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said. A close aide of 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saaed, Chawla is also a suspect in the Nirankari Bhawan grenade blast that killed 3 people a week ago.
Furore over Sidhu’s photo with pro Khalistani leader in Pak
Punjab Congress minister Navjot Singh Sidhu found himself in yet another controversy as he posed with Sikh militancy, pro-Khalistani activist Gopal Singh Chawla over a photo while on his two-day visit to the neighboring country of Pakistan for the Kartarpur corridor opening ceremony. Sidhu, who arrived back in India on Friday, said, “There were probably five to ten thousand photos clicked of me there. I don’t know who Gopal Chawla is.” Chawla uploaded a picture with Sidhu on social media site Facebook, following which the BJP criticised the cricketer-turned-politician. "Such malicious tactics on Pakistani soil cannot be ignored. Sidhu should maintain distance,” Union Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said. A close aide of 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saaed, Chawla is also a suspect in the Nirankari Bhawan grenade blast that killed 3 people a week ago.
___________________



