Top stories on 21 August in a capsule


Double death sentence to 2 accused in Mandsaur 8-year-old rape case

A special court in Madhya Pradesh’s Mandsaur sentenced two men to death on Tuesday for gang rape an 8-year-old minor girl. Special Judge Nisha Gupta held Irfan alias Bhaiyu (20) and Asif (24) guilty and sentenced them to death under the newly-introduced IPC section 376DB (punishment for rape of a woman under 12 years of age by one or more persons), public prosecutor BS Thakur said. The class 2 girl was abducted by the two accused on June 26 while the girl was waiting for her father outside her school. The men raped her, tortured her and then slit her throat before walking away. Doctors treating the girl had said there were several bite marks on the girl’s body, her nose was badly injured and rectum was ruptured, indicating that an object had been inserted into her private parts. The minor is still undergoing treatment in Indore.
_______________ 

Hug Controversy: Pakistan PM Imran Khan comes to Sidhu’s rescue

Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Tuesday came out in support of Punjab Minister Navjot Singh Sidhu, who is being slammed by Opposition for hugging Pakistan Army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa during Khan's oath-taking ceremony. Imran Khan thanked Sidhu for visiting the ceremony and said "those in India who targeted him are doing a great disservice to peace in the subcontinent. Without peace, our people cannot progress". Sidhu attended the swearing-in ceremony of his friend former Cricketer Imran Khan as the Prime Minister of Pakistan in Islamabad on August 18. Sidhu had also held a press conference earlier in the day, he said that the visit was not political but instead a friendly gesture and termed the hug 'an emotional moment'.
_______________ 

Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar’s PA commits suicide


31-year-old Kundan Singh, who was working as a personal assistant to Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, committed suicide on Monday. He hanged himself from the ceiling of his residence in South Delhi at 2 am. He was staying with his family in Laxmibai Nagar near Sarojini Nagar. A native of Bihar, Kundan had returned from office on Sunday and went to sleep in his room after dinner. When she went to check later, she found him hanging," a police officer informed the media. "No suicide note was found. We are trying to ascertain the cause and questioning his family," he added. The body was handed over to the family after post-mortem.

Kerala Floods Update: Centre exempts customs on foreign aid, UAE offers Rs 700 cr assistance

The Central government on declared that all aid coming from foreign countries for the Kerala floods will be exempted from Integrated Goods and Services Tax (IGST) and customs duty. Making the announcement on micro blogging site Twitter, Finance Minister Piyush Goyal said, “Centre is exempting basic customs duty and IGST for the consignments of aid and relief materials being dispatched or imported from abroad for the affected people.” The announcement comes in a time when the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government has also offered to provide Kerala with a relief aid of Rs 700 crore, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan declared, in light of the disaster that killed at least 236 as of Tuesday.
______________

No option of NOTA in Rajya Sabha: Supreme Court rules


The Supreme Court on Tuesday rules that None Of The Above (NOTA) option will not be in ballot papers Rajya Sabha elections, overruling a notification by the Election Commission (EC). The bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra and justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud reasoned that the exercise of NOTA is only practiced in direct polls and by introducing it in the Upper House, parliamentarians will be encouraged not to vote. The proposal of NOTA in Rajya Sabha polls had come in controversy when the EC suggested it during 2014 but was rejected by Congress leader Shailesh Manubhai Parmer saying it will lead to ‘horse-trading and corruption.’
______________

WhatsApp CEO meets Union Minister RS Prasad; discuss ways to curb fake news

Source: Ravi Shankar Prasad official Twitter account
Union Minster of Law and Justice and Electronics and IT, Ravi Shankar Prasad on Tuesday met the CEO of WhatsApp, Chris Daniels and suggested a list of regulations the messaging application can add to counter fake news. Receiving Daniels in Delhi, who is on a 4-day tour in India, the minister suggested him to set up a grievance officer in the country, along with establishing a ‘corporate entity’, in compliance with national laws. Minister Prasad further asked Daniels to ‘work closely with law enforcement agencies and create a public awareness campaign to prevent misuse of Whatsapp.’ The meeting comes after the government had sternly told the messaging app to curb fake news after a series of lynching cases were reported from the country.
______________

Popular posts from this blog

जिओ कॅप्सूल : ५ मिनटात वाचा ठळक बातम्या थोडक्यात

Top stories on 23rd October in a capsule