Top National and Business stories of 26th September in a capsule
BHU violence: UP CM orders judicial probe, VC in the dock
The UP government on Tuesday ordered a judicial inquiry into the “brutal” crackdown by the police on Banaras Hindu University (BHU) students, who were protesting molestation charges on the campus. The protests were against the assault of a BHU girl student by motorcycle-borne men inside the campus in Varanasi last week. The violence erupted after some protesting students wanted to meet the Vice-Chancellor at his residence. Meanwhile, V-C Girish Chandra Tripathi labelled the incident as "one of eve-teasing” and termed “the students as liars" who made a big deal of the whole incident. According to several media reports, Tripathi has been summoned by the HRD Ministry in Delhi, on Tuesday. However, he has denied the report.
More than 74,600 companies set up this year till August
As many as 74,600 companies were registered in the first eight months of this year in India, according to official data published by the ministry of corporate affairs. Till the end of August, there were 11.34 lakh active companies, after almost 4.75 companies were cancelled for being inactive for a long period. The total number of companies registered in the country as on August 31, 2017, stood at 1,687,745. In terms of economic activity, over 3.29 lakh companies were in business services, followed by manufacturing -2.34 lakh, trading -1.52 lakh and construction 1.04 lakh as on August 31.
..........................................................
Technology billionaires lose $16 bn in one day
Technology
stocks lost the most in the market trade on Monday, resulting in a
cumulative loss of around $16 billion, media reports said. Mark Zukerberg’s Facebook
saw the most fall in net worth of $3.2 billion, followed by a $1.3 billion
decline in Jack Ma’s Alibaba Group Holding and a $1.2 wipeout for Jeff Bezo’s
Amazon.com. The 59 tech moguls on the Bloomberg Billionaires Index control $942
billion, more than any other industry in the ranking.
Patanjali and D-mart new entrants in Hurun India Rich list
Acharya
Balkrishna, head of FMCG major Patanjali and Radhakishan Damani, head of the
retail chain D-mart, have made it to the Hurun India Rich List of 2017, along
with Mukesh Ambani in the lead. Mukesh Ambani has retained the title for the 6th
time in a row. Damani, the new retail king, of D-Mart is the biggest gainer
with wealth increase of 320 per cent. Acharya Balkrishna rose from the 25th
position last year to the eighth place this time, with his wealth increasing by
173 per cent to Rs 70,000 crore. Patanjali, with a turnover of Rs 10,561 crore
in FY17 has been a close competition to major global brands.
.........................................................
Sensex, Nifty post longest losing streak in 3 months
The Indian
indices declined for the sixth straight day as market sentiment remained tensed
amid the rising geopolitical tensions amongst the United States and North
Korea. BSE Sensex closed lower by 27 points, or 0.08%, to 31,600, while the
Nifty 50 edged down 1 point, or 0.01%, to 9,871. The markets recovered from
intra-day losses and closed flat at the previous session’s numbers. The heavy
losers were Hindustan Unilever, Asian Paints, Dr Reddy’s, TCS and M&M, down
by up to 2.31%. State-owned ONGC was a big hitter climbing 4.32% to Rs171.55
after the company said it will acquire the government’s 51.11% stake in HPCL.
3,600 crores for statue, loan for building bridges
The
Maharashtra government is all set with the funds to build a huge 3,600 crore
memorial along the coast of the state capital Mumbai, but has no finances to repair its
bridges, media reports said. The government has asked for a loan from the
Housing and Urban development corporation (Hudco) for
an urgent project of the repair and reconstruction of dilapidated bridges.
The state’s Public Work’s department (PWD) survey stated that 271 bridges were
in the most dilapidated category. Apart from that, another 896 bridges need
major repairs immediately, and 2,127 require minor repairs. The monetary
requirement to complete all the repairs is 1,750 crores.
..........................................................
..........................................................
..........................................................
India rules out to deploying troops in Afghanistan
India has ruled out deploying its troops in Afghanistan but
will expand its development activities to help stabilize the war-torn country.
The statement was made by Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman at a joint press
conference in New Delhi with her US counterpart James Mattis, on Tuesday.
"The situation in our neighborhood and the growing menace of cross-border
terrorism were discussed in depth. There is growing convergence in the approach
of both our countries on this issue," said Sitharaman. She said both sides
recognize the importance of holding those who use terrorism as an instrument of
state policy to account and to dismantle the infrastructure that supports
terrorism. Mattis acknowledged the comment saying, "no tolerance to
terrorism safe havens".
Bail granted to Malegaon Blast accused Major Upadhyay
The 2008 Malegaon blast accused, Major Ramesh Upadhyay was granted
bail by Bombay High Court on Monday. Earlier, the Supreme Court had granted
bail to Lt Col Prasad Shrikant Purohit (retired), the main accused in the case.
On the evening of September 29, 2008, a powerful bomb exploded near the Nooraji
Mosque in Malegaon killing six people and injuring 100 others. The National
Investigation Court (NIA) court granted bail to Sudhakar Chaturvedi and
Sudhakar Dwivedi in the blast case on 19th
September. The NIA had cited transcripts of phone conversations between
Upadhyay and Purohit as prime evidence against the former in their chargesheet.
..........................................................
Delhi HC rejects Honeypreet’s bail plea, asks her to surrender
Delhi High
Court on Tuesday rejected its order on the anticipatory bail plea of Honeypreet
Insaan, who is wanted by the Haryana Police in connection with Dera Sacha Sauda
Chief Ram Rahim Singh. The CBI court on August 28 had sentenced Ram Rahim to 20
years in prison for raping two of his disciples in 2002. The court further said
that, "The easiest way out for you would be to surrender". Honeypreet
is facing a case of sedition for allegedly inciting violence in Haryana after
the Dera chief's conviction. Several Haryana Police teams have been searching
for Honeypreet across the country, including the Indo-Nepal border and the
national capital.
Tejpal assault case: HC refuses to stay framing of charges
The Panaji
Bench of the Bombay High Court on Tuesday refused to stay the framing of sexual
assault charges against former editor-in-chief of Tehelka magazine Tarun Tejpal
in a lower court, on Tuesday. The court asked Tejapal to go back and seek
relief from the trial court. Tejpal, who was accused of sexually assaulting a
junior female colleague in the elevator of a hotel in north Goa during an event
in November 2013 was arrested 3 years back. Tejpal’s counsel Aman Lekhi
claimed, the accusations of rape were false and that the prosecution had
delayed handing over the evidence to him by three years.
